TUNIS, 15 March 2022 – The Independent High Authority for Audiovisual Communication (HAICA) in Tunisia has launched today the Media Regulation Resource Center (CRRM). This online resource platform was created with the technical and financial support of the European Union and the Council of Europe’s Joint Programme of Support to Independent Bodies in Tunisia (PAII-T).
The Center was created in response to the need to strengthen the capacity of regulatory authorities to carry out their functions in the era of digital media and the explosion in audiovisual production.
The CRRM aims to cover information needs of regulatory authorities based in the North and Sub-Saharan Africa regions that belong to the Francophone Network of Media Regulators (REFRAM), chaired by the HAICA since 2019. The CRRM is a reference tool for media regulation professionals and media actors looking for academic studies and the latest news in the field. It will be available in Arabic, English and French starting from the 1st of April 2022. The main objectives of the CRRM are :
● facilitate access to information on regulation, self-regulation and media literacy;
● share news and international standards (including those of the Council of Europe) in this field ;
● present the regulatory bodies on a global scale ;
● create a database of documentary and audiovisual resources online ;
● provide exchange spaces for researchers and experts in the field of media regulation. The Council of Europe and the European Union, through the joint PAII-T programme, have accompanied the process of designing and creating the Center since 2021. On one hand the HAICA will assure future updates sustainability of the CRRM online platform. On the other hand, the Center will also be monitored by a scientific committee made up of seven experts representing various academic bodies and national and international organisations such as the Council of Europe. This committee will guide the CRRMs strategy, ensure its reputation and contribute voluntarily to the enrichment of its
content and online offerings.